Upstate New York Section V and VI

Laxgramps

Re: Upstate New York Section V and VI

Post by Laxgramps » Tue May 21, 2019 3:34 pm

Just a comment on how bad Section VI lax has become in the past year. Over the past five years we’ve seen Section 6 teams like Timon, OP, Lancaster, Hamburg do well v non section 6 teams. This year, besides St. Joes which is undefeated in Section V, III and II, Section VI has gotten destroyed. There is such a huge gap here in Buffalo between the top team st. Joe’s and anyone else. Just look at the rankings here on laxnumbers. After St. Joes at #12, the next ranked WNY team from Section VI is OP at #93. That’s terrible. What has happened to the Lax boom around here? And it’s not because the other Sections have become super powers as is evident by the fact that Victor has 6 losses, Pittsford has 5, Hilton has 4, etc... this is a real problem. Downstate continues to get better and Upstate seems to be getting worse. Need better youth coaching. Sweetlax has always been top dog but a look at their 2021 team shows 1 kid from Buffalo, 4 kids from Rochester and the rest from upstate/Vermont/Canada etc... Sweetlax used to be dominated by Rochester kids.

Attack the cage

Post by Attack the cage » Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 pm

Section 6 is a joke! 2 good teams (Joes & Hamburg) 2 decent teams (OP & Frannies) and the rest are awful. They beat up on teams that are below modified skill level. Maybe if the area HS coaches weren’t too busy crying over the public vs private argument & spent time developing youth players early they wouldn’t get crushed every year at regionals.

Laxgramps

Post by Laxgramps » Wed May 22, 2019 9:35 am

Attack the cage wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 pm
Section 6 is a joke! 2 good teams (Joes & Hamburg) 2 decent teams (OP & Frannies) and the rest are awful. They beat up on teams that are below modified skill level. Maybe if the area HS coaches weren’t too busy crying over the public vs private argument & spent time developing youth players early they wouldn’t get crushed every year at regionals.
So very true. Remember when a kid my son played hockey with wanted to try out for a summer team run by a public school coach. Kid was 12 at the time. Was told that since he didn’t live in the area where the public school coach coached he wasn’t allowed to try out. “I don’t train other coaches kids” was his response. Same coach had a 7th grader start as a goalie on JV. Next year he found out kid was going to St. Joes and cut him from JV and then said that they had a modified goalie already. Kid sat out a year. BTW that kid will be playing goalie at Canisius College next year. Also, BTW, the coach is in the WNY Lax HOF. That’s what we deal with in Section VI.

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Only one upset tonight in the Section V Quarterfinals . And................you could almost see this coming . W Thomas 5-4 over McQuaid .

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » Sat May 25, 2019 8:26 pm

If I were a betting man , I would say that the same 4 teams end up in the 2020 Class B semi-finals as they did this season . Brighton , CA , Victor and Thomas . The rest of that class are not up to par with those 4 . Replies welcome . Is there anyone left on this forum ? Thanks to the Mods for this opportunity !

Laxgramps

Post by Laxgramps » Mon May 27, 2019 11:38 am

I would agree with you except that Pittsford May also challenge.

Fast Break

Post by Fast Break » Tue May 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Laxgramps wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:38 am
I would agree with you except that Pittsford May also challenge.
I believe that Pittsford will remain Class A in 2020, based on the bed numbers that I see on the NYSPHSSA website for 2019-20.

Laxgramps

Post by Laxgramps » Wed May 29, 2019 1:36 pm

St. Joes ends season with an 11-8 loss to iona Prep in the CHSAA AA championship. Down 9-5 they brought it back to 9-8 late in third but couldn’t score again. IP goalie was terrific. Too many turnovers for St. Joes. End season 19-2 and undefeated in upstate NY. Wait till next year-LOL

Hope this place gets a bit more action next year. Good luck to those teams still in playoffs.

Zlax

Post by Zlax » Thu May 30, 2019 9:51 am

Congrats to sectional champions: A-OP, B-Hamburg, C-EA, D-Eden.... a Southtown sweep.

Laxgramps

Post by Laxgramps » Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am

And good luck to the four Southtown team in their quest v Section V. Going to be tough. Need to be at their best. 🤞🥍